Thursday 16 January 2014

PPP3 : Laurie millotte

Laurie Millotte

Laurie Millotte is a designer based in Canada. Laurie first contacted me over Linkdin she sent a really friendly message which I saw as a great opportunity to form a connection with a professional designer.


So that I could engage in a conversation I decided to use my  dissertation as a subject to talk about. I am getting really interesting feedback from designers I have contacted thus far and it is really benefiting both my dissertation, my practice as a designer and also my confidence in learning that contacting designers isn't as daunting as I thought and they are just humans and will either reply or not reply.

Below is the conversation we engaged in. Laurie pointed me in the direction of her side project Flights of insight which coincidentally is based on similar subjects that I have asked her about and have based my dissertation on. The flights of insight website has really helped the progress of my dissertation as it has pointed me in new directions and showcased some new exciting things to research into to do with insight and creativity. For reasons like this it is so beneficial to engage with people as they will more or less all the time know something you don't know that could help you out. 






This is the response I got from Laurie to do with the questions asked. It is really useful and once again great to learn the opinions of a professional designer. From contacting designers it is showing me that creativity is what underpins the industry of graphic design which is good to know.


Hi Suzanne,

I'm back in the saddle!
So glad you like my project Flights-of-Insight. I have more developments coming up with that project as well.

Ok, so back to answering your questions:

- Is the process of creating an idea mechanical or is it more of a moment of inspiration what is your process for approaching a brief?

>>> to me it is more about connecting the dots. I have a very good memory and I just "absorb" a lot of various inspirations day after day, noting the "wow" moments, or the improvements I would have done, seeing how one thing reminds me of another.
When then it comes to creating a new concept, I have this reference bank that supports me in creating and designing new things yet untapped.


- Do you think creativity is important within Graphic Design are there any specific areas of design where creativity is most necessary?

>>> I think creativity is primordial, and not just in Graphic Design. More and more, it is what differences is us from computers. Life should be taken creatively, and if your job is to create brands, than even more so. What I love the most is burst of creativity in areas of life people never thought of looking before (Method Cleaning products is an example, a fun and storytelling wine label is another ;)

- If you hit a a wall on a project do you have a specific method for untangling the problem and furthering your ideas, do you have any unusual methods of stimulating creativity, do you see any benefits in learning some? 

>>> I always have a big notepad next to me. I write down ideas, scratch those which don't work, I make a lot of arrows and circles... No more seriously, I usually do two things: spread out/untangle the problem on paper and browse some bookmarked inspiration websites (not looking at the competition per say, that would be defeating the purpose, but watching how other people creatively proposed their own solutions to existing problems).
I also allow myself to sleep on it. Quite literally, if I can, I let it sit in the back of my mind for a couple of days to go back at it with fresh eyes. I usually then produce in 2 hours better work than if I would have tolled 16!


- Does the design of your studio space influence the way you work?

>>> The space I work in is very basic. The main factor is that it's an open space concept, with high-ceiling. You can breathe and not feel cramped in front of your computer. I share a desk with my senior designer, and the owner of the company with the junior designer. No one is behind closed doors and everyone is aware of what's going on. It makes it easy for the team to be up to date on any given project and submit ideas.

I hope these answers help you!
Let me know if you want me to clarify on some points or if you have any other questions.

Best,
Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment