Tuesday 22 May 2012

OUGD401 EVALUATION

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


Throughout this module I feel there are a number of skills I have developed. I now feel more comfortable analysing work in an academic way, I know which language is appropriate to use in analysis and have also been shown many ways of analysing wrok successfully. These are qualities that have proven useful when applying them to DP crits. I have also learnt more about myself as a designer from Jo's sessions and extended my knowledge of other designers. 
Through the publication brief I feel I developed better skills in researching in books for content, as this was such an important ingredient to the publication


What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


For the publication I used Indesign and illustrator, so I have developed my skill in them. When I do illustration I usually hand draw them, but for this publication I wanted to try something different so to learn more about illustrator I decided to use it for the illustrations for this publication. I also experimented with layout more in this publication as I didn't want to just list words as it would look dull and ordinary.


What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


I feel I have created a publication that is useful for my target audience with appropriate content, this is from extensive research which has highlighted to me the benefits of appropriate research. I feel I now have a greater understanding of audience and how important it is to view what you are designing from their point of view as it was interesting to see in the final crit just how confusing work can be, and the smallest alterations can make the work read clear. Work has to speak for itself, and that is something I am going to remind myself constantly.


What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


I need to have a greater understanding and knowledge of theorist as this is something I really struggled with throughout context of practice. I also need to work on my academic writing skills for the essay as I feel I am still not very good at it. 
I feel the finish and  to my publication could have been a little better as it got scuffed towards the end, I need to make sure I am very carful with my end products so that they read as I want them to. I also need to work on photographing my work appropriately. I also need to check my work more thoroughly as it was pointed out to me in the final crit that my publication was full of spelling mistakes.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?


1. develop my academic writing skill so that my essay next year wont be such a struggle
2. Inform myself more of theorists out there so I can gain a greater understanding of them.
3. Inform myself of areas of Design context that I am interested in so that I can further my knowledge
4. Check my work for errors before I submit it for final  crits
5. Be more orginised with lecture notes, notes from sessions etc as this will make bloging alot easier


Attendance - 4
Punctuality - 5
Motivation - 3
Commitment - 3
Quantity of work produced - 3
Quality of work produced - 3
Contribution to the group - 4




No comments:

Post a Comment