Thursday 30 May 2013

PPP2 : TASK 8 PART 1 - Studio Visits

Catalogue :



I have been to visit Catalogue a couple of times at there studio this year ( below is my dog Russell having the time of his life) It was really good to see the guys set up but each time was more of a social visit. I asked a few questions like hows work, what you doing at the moment type of thing but found it impossible to get into PPP mode and ask proper questions about business especially as that wasn't the reason for the visit those times.

 I realised i'm not going to be able to do a serious pop visit without it turning into a social, pluss the added problem of if I'm but in a situation where i need to ask a question but I don't have a burning question my brain will just go dead, so I figured that I should pair up with someone and go together as this will make it less of a social visit.

The guys got busy on the times when we were free but me and Greta are going to go for a visit during summer once we are more flexible to fit in with catalogues plans.



Crowns & Owls :



I have also visited Crowns & owls studio a few times this year too but again the same problem raised, as i'm friends with them it was a social visit and it didn't feel right going deep into business. I really love what these guys do there a films agency and their work is stunning. I am going to take the same tactic as the plan is with catalogue and pari up with Greta to go visit for PPP reasons over summer.



The lift agency :

A friend who I didn't realise worked in graphic design has suggested that I go visit their studio over summer. It would be really interesting to see the set up of this studio as they are quite small ( 4 of the guys in the photo bellow are from Crowns and owls so the studio is the groups photo - 4) but even though it is small it is run like a larger company would be they have the big bosses the owners,
they have the designers, and they also have accounts managers, which is a set up that seems very corporate to me but looking at the studio they themselves are not that way. So it would be interesting to see how things work here.




Rabbit hole :

From going to events this year I have met a guy called mark, I don't know his last names as people just refer to him as mark ... mark rabbit if they need to clarify which mark we're talking about. This was a situation where after the event everyone went for a drink mark cam along we got chatting because he's from harrogate too and knows of my boyfriend blablabalb. It wasn't until id met him a fair few times that I found out he's part of design agency Rabbit hole. I havnt actually seen any of there work as since I've found out the website has been under construction so I'm pretty excited to see what work they do. Mark has offered to show me Rabbit hole and also as it is in Duke studios, he said he'd show me around the other studios withing that too which will be really beneficial. For this visit again I will be going with Greta as we were talking about looking around Duke studios together anyone before this came along.



Duke street :



McGrathe o'toole :

McGrathe o'toole is based in Leeds and my friend used to share an office with them so got to know the owners well. Over last summer she contacted one of the owners explaining she's got a friend who's studying graphic design, talking about placements etc, so I obviously had mini panic attack when she mentioned she'd contacted them. There was no word until I was back in uni when the guys got back to sarah and said I should come for a visit etc show me round , but it's just been so manic juggling uni and job that this hasn't even crossed my mind till now. So over summer I will get back in touch and arrange to go for a visit, and see what they are about.




DR.ME :






Dr.Me does some really exciting creative crazy work full of energy and I think it is great. They are based in Manchester and this would be another visit that I would do with Greta over summer.


Boxhead :





Box head are based in Leeds and have some really nice work their website is currently being constructed so can't wait to see their new stuff.

The Consult :






The Consult is another Leeds based design agency which I am wanting to get in contact with. They have some really nice branding and editorial work which I what I really love. I especially like the identity they have created for Moxham.


Fine print :

This is a visit that I went on earlier in the year during the print module. It was really useful to go to a printers and see how things a made in the industry. It made the process's of the different procceses of print sink in a lot more and it was also really good to talk to a printer get advise from a professional. 


No comments:

Post a Comment